Monday, April 12, 2010

Book Review - Death from the Skies!

Imagine a book detailing the most horrific natural disasters conceivable by the human mind. Now imagine it detailing disasters not even conceivable by the human mind, on a scale so large and terrifying that the most devastating cataclysms known to date are like a candle to a firestorm. Even more aptly, like an ember to the end of the WORLD!

Scared yet?

Spare a thought for how much more terrifying this is for a tiny monkey*.

This is Death from the Skies!, another book by Philip Plait, PhD. In his book, Phil Plait delights in explaining the various threats the earth faces on a constant basis from outer space. Asteroids, gamma ray bursts (or GRBs) and gluttonous black holes. Still Phil Plait eases the fear by telling us exactly how likely these events are and what, if anything, we can do about them.

I won't lie, the book makes you feel very very small and puts all petty concerns firmly and brutally into perspective. At the same time though, it makes you take another look at the staggering, truly breath-taking beauty of the universe we live in.

This is absolutely recommended reading for anyone, regardless of educational background.

Yours,
Charles

*5 cm tall, or thereabouts.

5 comments:

  1. Be prepared to have another 15 seconds of fame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, but I have to say, I disagree with the smallness comment. Like Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson says, you should feel large when you think about the universe, to know that what is in our bodies are there because they were cooked in the heart of stars now dead. That we are in the universe, and the universe is in us.

    Keep up the great reviews, Charles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allen, thanks for the comment. I agree with you. When I said it made the reader (i.e. me) feel small, I meant small in terms of physical size and time span, definitely not in worth or value.

    Yours,
    Charles

    P.S. I have to get my hands on some of Neil deGrasse Tyson's books. Without them, my collection is lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, for a monkey, that you have a book collection at all is quite amazing! :)

    Yes, Neil's books are ones you should get. Also, there are books by Sagan (Demon Haunted World for one). I suppose if we knew what was in your barrels for books, maybe we could recomend some for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll start posting up what books I own and have read. I'm creating a Library page to for the blog. You can see it in the page menu to the right. (It's pretty sparse at the moment).

    ReplyDelete